RENO, Nev. (Nevada Athletics) — Nevada split Opening Day at home against Saint Mary’s on Tuesday afternoon. The Pack are now 9-20 on the season, having won the first game 6-2 and fell in the second with a final score of 0-3. Then the Pack will remain at home to face the Boise State Broncos on March 25-27. Friday’s first pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, the Pack will face the Broncos starting at 12 p.m. each day.
Sophomore Blake Craft won the first match of the day for the Pack. Craft pitched a full game and is now 1-9 on the season. The second allowed five hits, two runs (two earned) and struck out seven. Offensively, the Pack recorded nine hits and six RBIs. Senior Lauren Gutierrez led the field with a hit and three RBIs. Freshman Tatum Maytorena recorded a run, two hits and an RBI. As a sophomore, Chelie Senini recorded a run and two hits. Senior Danielle Lew had one run and two hits. While Aaliyah Jenkins and Jessica Sellers scored a hit each, Sellers scored an RBI. Sophomore Sam Oliver scored just one RBI after a grounded.
How did it happen
- Nevada took the lead after a groundout to score a run in the first inning.
- The Pack added two more runs in the second inning after being hit twice by the pitch with loaded bases.
- The Gaels responded by adding an RBI in the sixth inning.
- Nevada scored three runs after a single and a double RBI that scored two in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- Saint Mary’s scored a solo home run into right field in the seventh inning, but the Pack took the win 6-2.
Sophomore Tyra Clary took the loss for the Pack. Clary went four innings, allowing four hits, one run (one earned) and struck out one. Rookie Ellie Garcia stepped into the circle to relieve Clary. Garcia allowed four hits, two runs (one earned) and struck out three. The Pack offense was led by rookie Bradianne Glover with one hit.
How did it happen
- Game 2 started scoreless for four innings.
- Saint Mary’s took the lead with two runs in the top of the fifth.
- The Gaels scored a goal in the top of the seventh to defeat Nevada 3-0.
Copyright 2022 KOLO. All rights reserved.